Framtíðin


Framtíðin
on Hafnarbyggð Street


Most of the village's oldest buildings are near the area which in the past was always called Plássið. "The Place" is actually Fúluvík and Búðarmalar, but for the last 100 years Fúlavík has been called Framtíðarvík after the house which stands there called Framtíð, an attractive, gable-roofed timber house with a stone cellar, first and second floors.


Jón Vídalín and Louis Zöllner did business with the purchasing cooperative here in Vopnafjörður around 1900. In 1897 these partners, Jón and Zöllner, leased this site and built Framtíðin. A year later they opened a store and the first manager was Grímur Laxdal, a popular and respected man in Vopnafjörður. Vídalín and Zöllner parted company in 1901 and Jörgen Hansen bought Vídalín's share in the store. This new partnership was soon very popular, and many people tried to close their accounts with Örum & Wulff which operated from the Kaupvangur, and then do business with the "upper store", as it was often called.

In 1907 Framtíð was incorporated, with more stores in East Iceland, and the name remained although the original cooperative later merged into "The United Icelandic Store". The Framtíð store did business for nearly thirty years in the 20th century. After the store was closed the house changed hands often, among other owners was the cooperative fishing company "Young Kolbeinn". Finally the local cooperative store bought Framtíð from the bank and used it mostly for storing wool, then later as general storage. Bit by bit, the house deteriorated and no one cared for it.


In 1998 Árni Magnússon, master electrician in Vopnafjörður, bought the house and repaired it over the next years. Framtíðin now enjoys a renewed life and is considered one of the most beautiful houses in the village.




Tungumál


Skipta um leturstærð


Leit